Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: New henry 45-70 with 22 inch octagon barrel

Boolit Buddy

New henry 45-70 with 22 inch octagon barrel

any body have any experience with this model of Henry? it weighs in at 8.1 lbs empty

I'd buy one if I could!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

In that caliber you want a shotgun style stock with a recoil pad. Crescent shaped stocks with steel plates will hurt!

Boolit Buddy
    I thought about that, and I have been a long time fan of 45-70. In the past have owned three Marlins, including the guide gun, two other Henry's including the new all weather with 18.5 inch barrel, 2 Ruger #1s, one Ruger #3, and now this one with the 22 inch barrel and 8.1 lb weight. The hardest recoiling ones were the Marlin guide gun, the Henry all weather with that 18.5 inch barrel, and the hardest was the Ruger #3. I do reload, but if it gets to be too bad , will get a slip on or put a recoil pad on it. Not sure I want to do that, as that walnut stock is beautiful.

Any pics?

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear1950 View Post
    I do reload, but if it gets to be too bad, will get a slip on or put a recoil pad on it. Not sure I want to do that, as that walnut stock is beautiful.
    You can get just the shoulder pad part of a shooting jacket off Amazon. Straps on like a shoulder holster. I have a CVA Scout in 45-70 and it does not weigh much. Firing it with full power black powder loads actually gave me a shoulder injury before I got that thing.

Now I know why the 45-55 exists. I load all of my too-short "Leverevolution" Hornaday brass as 45-55's and put the full power loads in the Starline brass.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, 44 Special 44 Magnum. .223, 7.62x39, 7.62 x 54R, .30-06, 45-70, .32, .36, .44. .45. .50. .54. .58 and .60 round ball and various minies. And .375 heel crimped conical for those .36 conversions . KB6MRP on Discord

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Having examined both at work, the octagon version adds quite a bit of weight. I only shoot unique powered Trapdoor loads so I don't need it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Looking at Henry's website looks like they have several configurations in 45-70. Personally I would choose the color case if I were to purchase one. But I already have a Browning 1886 high grade and don't think I can improve much on that. Oh and yes the crescent steel butt plate gets your attention with heavy loads. Over 300 rounds of 525's at 1300fps fired at the Q last year left me bruised some even with a shoulder pad.

Boolit Buddy
    I have some of those bullets, but do not have the seating die for loading those. My guess is the sizing die and case mouth die are the same as regular, just a matter of adjusting the case mouth die for the shorter cases.

Boolit Buddy
    My 45-70 dies are the full length dies for regular size cases. How do you like shooting the shorter cases, do they have less recoil?

Boolit Buddy
    Have not checked lately, but think I have about 20 of the leverution bullets.