Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Making my own .452 300gr pc bullet mold

Making my own .452 300gr pc bullet mold

Being a moldmaker/machinist, i decided to try making my own mold for my .460 s&w.
    Here is my first test from some blanks i used to see if my weight and diameters come out as I'd like. I got .454 diameter and just a little shy of 300 grains (294), i plan to powder coat these and see what i can get them to do for deer hunting. Let me know what you guys think.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240519_143518.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	326724

Boolit Master

Looks good!
    Did you make a cherry?

Boolit Buddy
    What do I think.....I want some. Thats pretty slick.

Boolit Master
    That looks really good - crimp groove looks just right. Tell us about making the mold - aluminum? Steel? Brass? and how you machined it.

Boolit Buddy
    Very good!

Made my blanks out of 2 pieces of aluminum, milled square and just clamped them together. Made some graphite electrodes and burnt them with the shops edm. Poured them without a sprue plate and just trimmed off the excess in the lathe.
    Once i get what i like for weight and diameter im going to take a used lee mold of a smaller diameter and burn that out with my electrodes.
    Hardest part was getting the edm to orbit only while all the way down in the z axis to keep my crimp groove. The machine wanted to orbit in 2 axises at once which would have wiped out my crimp groove.

Boolit Grand Master

The charmay (sp) I ran had a flat orbit for doing threads that should work. That sub routine burnt down the radially out.

I used alot of copper electrodes and some carbide ones also. carbon is easy to machine and form.

Yes, same with the ona edm i used to use, this mitsubishi has weird burns that we have never had to tweek before so it was an experience.

Got my mold finished, the bullets almost fall out of it. They are coming out at .454dia and at 20bhn they are weighing in at 287 before powder coat. Diameter i like since im going to resize them after powder coating to .452, just wish they were at 300 grains like i planned. I figure they will be close enought anyway. Plan on running them somewhere around 1900 fps and figure they will punch through anything I'm going to shoot. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240522_190643.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	326878

But how do they shoot?

Dont know yet, just cast them and powder coated them. Waiting on my sizing die to come then i can load them up and see how they do.

Got my sizing die and got them sized.
    Loaded them with 38.0gr of h110 and am getting 1600fps with no issues and a little bit of a thump in the hand. Was hopimg to get 1900fps but i like how these feel shooting and i didnt when i went up to 39.0gr. Those thumped real hard and had one heck of a muzzle blast. So i think 1600 will be good enough. Now to see how they group.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240528_180332.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	327034

Boolit Master

I use CFE Black in the 460 with good results. I haven't had chance to put any across my LabRadar yet.