Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45 Colt Brass

Boolit Master

Something you may consider, if it's just the necks that are getting split, and the brass is otherwise in good shape, trim them down to Schofield or 45 Auto Rim (Cowboy Special) length, and load them accordingly. Might as well keep using them if you can.
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Master

This is an interesting discussion for me. I have 3 firearms in .45 Colt; a Uberti cattleman revolver, a Uberti 1873 lever action and a Contender single shot. I've had them for years and have been using the same brass in all three. I load both target loads and hunting loads in the same cases. Of the hundreds of cases that I have, I've had only 3 case failures over the years. One of them was a failure of the base in a very old balloon head case. The other two were splits starting at the case mouth and going about 1/3 of the length down the case. I guess all three of my .45 Colts have similar chamber dimensions that are very close to what my dies resize to.

Boolit Master
    45 brass, particularly the Colt, are victimized by the most expansion variance in straight cases because of the taper in the chambers vs what carbide dies do to the case. Here is a link to a site with both cartridge and chamber specs. Then comes the manufacturers separate issue of production. It’s amazing the brass does as well as it does really and why high pressures are so hard on brass. https://www.theballisticassistant.co...ridge-catalog/
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Boolit Master

I only use steel sizing dies for the .45 Colt. I cannot prove that carbide sizers ruin brass but I chose to err on the side of caution. I only know that it works for me. james

Boolit Master
    Starline has 45 Colt brass in stock, no limit. I suggest you buy what you need now. I doubt it’ll be in stock very long.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master

Thanks everyone
    I have not been to the site in over a week with migraines

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master

Also Thanks
    I got some 1X fired 45 Colt brass at the gun club
    But it was posted that Starline had 45 Colt brass again
    So I ordered some

Now I am set for 45 Colt brass for a while again

Thanks
    John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat