Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Refreshing Park Solution

Refreshing Park Solution

I have a batch of Lauer parkerizing solution that I haven't used in a year or so. It's been stored in a sealed milk jug away from sunlight. I'm wondering if it's still good, and if there is a way to "freshen" it up? I've used it to park a couple 1911's prior to Dura Coating them so it doesn't have a lot of use on it.
    From Above Only, And Not Beneath!

Never used the Lauer, mainly Palmetto's solution. As long as you didn't let it freeze and stored it in a sealed container it should be fine for many years. You'll need to shake it up a bit as it will settle out if it sits a long time. I store mine in automotive windshield washer bottles with the safety cap with the labels removed and written in black sharpie what they are. Also put a water level on them so they get filled back up to the same level since you have evaporation loss. The batch I'm using now was mixed up last summer, but the batch before that (lost to freezing which causes the manganese to come out of solution) was mixed up some time before 2010. When it starts taking longer to get good coverage or the finish gets lighter I add in an ounce or two of concentrate and only use distilled water. If you ever get oil into your solution it is not ruined. Lay a paper towel across the entire top and it will soak up the oil along with a bit of solution. I also store the solution and jugs in a milk crate and put them in the house (forgot year before last) to keep them from freezing. I've found a bleached red shop towel is the best thing to strain the solution through to remove flocking without taking forever. If you don't bleach the towel it will turn black and the solution will pick up a bit of red hue to it for a while. Doesn't seem to effect it otherwise but figure it doesn't hurt to bleach one towel since you can reuse it once you hose it off.

Boolit Master
    I was wondering the same thing, I made up some back in '09 and placed it in a clean antifreeze container in the shop, sorry I'm no help, but I'll be watching to see what others say.

Appreciate the input, sounds like it's still good! I've heard of degreasing steel wool and adding a bit to the solution, any thoughts on that?

Boolit Buddy
    I have been using Palmetto mang solution for many years, I replace water lost to evaporation with distilled water, and add 2 or 4 ounces of new mixed solution (per gallon) to replenish the chemicals lost. Been doing this for over seven years now with the same solution, still works OK.

Steve

Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like all I need to do is freshen my solution. Easier done!

Boolit Master

-Another thing I have*been told is that with evaporation during a parkerizing I should add ONLY water*until I am all the way through with the parkerizing that day, then recharge the solution. Any thoughts on the above?*7.3 acidity level is ideal. If the "bath" dips below 5.3 then it in ecense becomes ineffective. You can get a test kit from any drug store that checks acidity levels. The notion that you only have to add water is incorrect. Just maintain a good acid level and your ok.

I had a cheat sheet on using pH strips to test it's strengh then just add some fresh to bring the solution back to it's balance point. If I can find it, I'll post it.

Found it:
    Last edited by Greg S; 09-24-2016 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Found it

I usually don't do more than one or two firearms at a time, but I've done 10 prepped rifles in one session. If you're dong a long run you will have to add water at some point so it is best to make a mark on the tank or measure the water level before you start dropping parts in. The only time I add more solution is if I notice the finish is getting lighter or taking longer than normal, but that can take several uses before that happens. So far with the current batch that was mixed up last year around early summer I've only parkerized about a half dozen barrels and some small parts like muzzle brakes and gas blocks. At that rate it will take a while before any extra solution needs to be added. Water gets added every time to bring the volume back up. There is a prepped 16.5" .44x1.8" ar10 barrel in my tool box that will get degreased one last time and run through the park tank in the next few days.