RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polygonal rifling!

Boolit Bub

Polygonal rifling!

Is it safe to shoot Powder coated cast bullets in a handgun with polygonal rifling? I have a new H&K 45CT which has that sort of rifling, I'm assuming that it is ok, but we all know what assuming can do for us!

Boolit Master
    As long as the fit is good, there shouldn’t be issues. Fit is king. Seat the boolit, crimp, then pull it to see if it’s the correct size still. Lubed or coated makes no difference. I’ve shot both through a few glocks without issue.

Never had a problem in my Walther PPQ.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

My HK USP 40 would not shoot moly coated or Berry’s copper plated bullets accurately unless the velocity was kept below 1000fps. The Berry plated bullets literally “flew apart”. I would find several small holes in my target rather than a single round hole with the Berry Bullets.

The 45acp might be a different story, given its low velocity.

The twist rate of the barrel, combined with the rifling type is what I believe created the problem for me (H&K USP 40).

Boolit Master
    I have been shooting Hi-Tek coated bullets out of Walther PPQ's (9mm & .45 ACP) for serval years without any problems.

My bullets are 11BHN to 12BHN and are sized .002" to .003" over bore da. Fit is king.

Walther barrels are true polygonal rifling Glocks are not.

I tried Powder coated bullets, Hi-Tek coated is better.

That’s one of those issues where some will say yes and others will say no. I would wonder if the risk is worth the reward.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

I have also fired lead bullets from my .44 mag Desert Eagle which is also polygonal rifling. Other than the fact that they were going too fast to grip the rifling they did not cause any safety concerns that I am aware of. I currently fire only jacket in that gun now.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

I have never had a problem in any of my Glocks after thousands of rounds.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    That’s one of those issues where some will say yes and others will say no. I would wonder if the risk is worth the reward.
    You're right, the question comes up all the time and answers differ, but what's the risk? I've never heard of anyone's gun blowing up. Worst case you get crappy accuracy. My Kahr 45 loves them. It's worth trying.

Boolit Buddy
    The Glock warning was because of people who thought Glocks are so perfect and reliable they don't have to be cleaned. So they would put thousands of rounds of cast followed by a jacketed bullet which could lead to problems in any pistol. I think the polygonal / cast warnings are overblown and I have a CZ82 with polygonal rifling and only shoot cast with it. At first I was worried about the reported blow ups so I would inspect the barrel after shooting a few mags to check for leading. Fortunately my load is fine and I can put 300+ rounds at the range and only have the slightest trace of fouling that wipes out easily. YMMV.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    I have never had a problem in any of my Glocks after thousands of rounds.
    +1, way back when, I consider I wasted money buying aftermarket barrels for my G22 and 21. Now I have proved to myself with thousands of either lubed or PC'd boolits that Glock OEM barrels work wonderfully with cast.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
    You're right, the question comes up all the time and answers differ, but what's the risk? I've never heard of anyone's gun blowing up. Worst case you get crappy accuracy. My Kahr 45 loves them. It's worth trying.
    Risk doesn’t have to be dangerous. If I’m willing to risk $1 on a lottery ticket, is that dangerous?
    Last edited by Half Dog; 05-09-2024 at 02:22 PM.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I was getting leading with my Glock 20 with my own HPs. Didn’t with ACME boolits. I think I was squeezing them down when I was seating them. I put an extra coat of powder coating over my existing sized Boolits and made sure to flair the bells wider. Never re tested.

Boolit Master
    Metford rifling (a type of polygonal) was first used with black powder muskets, and later with black powder rifles such as the Lee Metford and Martini Henry. There is no issue with using cast with polygonal rifling. There is a problem using cast boolits improperly sized to the rifling.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master
    I shoot powder coated bullets in a G37 45GAP. I have not had any issues. Also used to shoot a G29 in 10mm without any issues.
    Last edited by Outer Rondacker; 05-09-2024 at 03:40 PM.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    Risk doesn’t have to be dangerous. If I’m willing to risk $1 on a lottery ticket, is that dangerous?
    It must be the Half part; it would never be an issue with the Dog part.

Coated bullets are just fine in poly bbls. It is all I run in my Glocks. You can even run lubed lead, just clean the bbl more often. Though I never get great accuracy with lubed lead in poly bbls.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
    A bunch of early LEA G22 got KB using lead bullets. Many dept back then used remanuf ammo with lead bullet for practice. Dont clean the bbl, fire jacketed after & it got exciting.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Many tens of thousands of commercial and home cast HiTek coated bullets through my Gen 3 polygonal rifled Glock barrels without leading issues.

Now the new, more conventionally rifled Marksman’s barrels, I’ve had leading problems with, but I’m still working on figuring out if it’s the rifling, the machining, bore fit, alloy or coating.

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    ...I think the polygonal / cast warnings are overblown and I have a CZ82 with polygonal rifling and only shoot cast with it. At first I was worried about the reported blow ups so I would inspect the barrel after shooting a few mags to check for leading. Fortunately my load is fine and I can put 300+ rounds at the range and only have the slightest trace of fouling that wipes out easily. YMMV.
    +1 20 years with a CZ82 and haven't had a problem with cast.