MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Stevens 25 rimfire ??

Boolit Master

Stevens 25 rimfire ??

Hopefully in correct forum.

Stevens 25 rimfire ?? I saw one recently, a 44 action. It was like new. Priced according. I have one box of Stevens 25 rimfire. Once I shoot that up, then what?
    Can that be made into something center fire? even a wildcat? I know the block will have to be "fixed".
    I know this comes up about once every two of three years. I took a look in the archives and did not anything.
    I am set up for 25-20 R and SS and 25-35 W, but 25-35 is a bit much I think.

thanks in advance.

Boolit Buddy
    Isn't the 44 pretty much a rimfire only action? Sell your ammo to the the owner of the rifle. And let him deal with it. Sorry to be so negative, but dealing with a 25 20 ss is more than enough headache for me.
    I've got 54 cases, some promised, and email Starline begging them to make some as often as possible. Found a mold, bought some cast bullets, and may have gotten around the gold-plated die situation. Keep telling myself the rifle was worth the trouble.
    Last edited by gunther; 05-08-2024 at 12:43 PM.

There is a thread that provides information about making brass from .22 Hornet and an acorn blank as a primer on this forum. might look for that.

Boolit Master

I have a 44 in 32-40 and another in 38-55, so not limited to rimfire. Black powder pressures for sure. As stated I have all the stuff for 25 SS so not a problem.

Boolit Master

If the rifle is in nice condition and you want to shoot it as a center fire, look on fleabay and find one of the rimfire breech block that show up from time to time. Caliber of the breech block makes no difference as you will convert it. Also check your bore size.
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master
    They are a fun gun to own and fire! Look at the 22 Hornet with acorn blank thread mentioned above.
    There are quite a few of us that enjoy reviving the big rimfires!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I get 44s in often to convert, put a liner in and move the firing pin. They are a fun rifle, mine is in 44-40.

Boolit Master
    I converted an early .32 rimfire 44 with 7o'clock extractor to centerfire by the simple expedient of swapping out the breech block for a centerfire one. After that the only obstacle was ammunition which I make by swaging .32 S&W Long brass down to .32 Long Colt dimensions (.32 Long Colt chamber dimensions equal .32 rimfire dimensions). I had Tom at Accurate Molds cut me a mold for an 83 grain heeled bullet that is a perfect thumb seat fit in my homemade brass at which point I'm off to the races.

Similar approach is what I would do if I had a Stevens .25 rimfire. .22 Hornet brass is your friend for that. A local buddy did that very trick with a Stevens and it is a stunningly accurate rifle. His "wallet groups" that he fired at 200 yards need to be seen to be believed. (Wallet group: so good you clip it out and carry it in your wallet to show everybody you can.) I'm wheedling him to sell me the rifle, but I don't know.....

Sure, Stevens offered some centerfires in the 44, but rest assured all the Stevens 44 .32-40's and the like were built on actions that contained a lugged hammer for extra strength, and even then it wasn't a swell idea. Troubles with same was one reason they abandoned the 44 in favor of the new improved/stronger 44 1/2 action for use with centerfire cartridges in 1903. Small centerfire cartridges with light charges are ok in a non-lugged hammer 44 action though. It's all about bolt thrust of the cartridge case against the breech block - given equal chamber pressure of two different cartridges the one with the smaller case head will exert less thrust against the breech block. I've been getting away cleanly with a non-lugged hammer action in .22WCF (.22 Hornet) but I strictly adhere to cast bullet loads with a couple grains of Bullseye. Even at that I reckon there will come a day when I'll have to re-pin the linkage in the action.

Boolit Buddy
    Case life would be doubtful but there is a company around that actively promotes .22 rimfire reloading. They source chemicals for repriming rim , etc.
    FWIW , I'm goning to say that Canuck brand ammuniton out of Canada probably the last made factory ammo ,
    that into the mid 1960's ?

Here's another converter of Hornet to CF .25 Stevens. Works very well. Remember your twist is only 17" per turn, so 65 grain bullets are your best bet.

Buying NOS ammo has become ridiculous. Some Gunbroker sellers want $7 per round.

The vast majority of CF Stevens 44s were in .25-20 Stevens. Only chambering more common was .22 LR. So CF breechblocks do show up on evilBay occasionally. But it's not that hard to convert a .22 to centerfire.

Having spent several years in this rabbit-hole, I've noticed that the Stevens chambers were cut quite tightly, especially for what was a black-powder round to begin with. I think this is one big reason why the .25 is as accurate as it is. The .28-30 is another round they chambered like a benchrest rifle.

Just before WW2, Allyn Tedmon was lobbying for a High Velocity .25 Stevens. Probably circa 1400 fps as opposed to subsonic. With reloadable cases in a Model 44, you could reproduce that today.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-now-goes-bang

https://forum.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb...m=1519327136/0

Looking at the early post dates on the ASSRA thread - 2018 was when I started learning, and other were there before me.
    Last edited by uscra112; 05-10-2024 at 08:58 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

For sure the value/cost of .25 rimfire keeps me from shooting original ammo. I do shoot cases made from converted .22 Hornet. It’s an interesting pastime. My Stevens is the lighter “Favorite” the 44 being a bit heavier action. Too bad an ammo manufacturer does not produce.25 rimfire. There would be quite a demand. Bottom line however is if you want to shoot yours it can be done.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6218.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	326447Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6219.jpg 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	326448Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6220.jpg 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	326449
    Made my own “reloading die”. I load it backwards. Set the bullet, put the powder in from the “primer” end and install the primer case.
    Last edited by Rockingkj; 05-10-2024 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockingkj View Post
    Too bad an ammo manufacturer does not produce.25 rimfire. There would be quite a demand. .
    Just show them the number of boys' rifles in .25 RF for sale on Gunbroker.
    Cognitive Dissident

The idea of a centerfire .25 Stevens is older than dirt. Here's a pic of an ammo box that Reuben Harwood offered for sale circa 1895. Harwood was closely associated with Stevens, and no doubt he was making up centerfire Ideal rifles with .25 RF barrels to sell from his shop in Somerville, MA.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sm 25 CF Harwood_DSC8898-Edit.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	326459
    I am indebted to Tom Rowe for providing the above photo.
    Cognitive Dissident