RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: shotshells

shotshells

Does anyone have a good data source for loading shotshells with nitro cards, fiber and felt wads? This in gauges from 410 to 10 gauge for shot, slug and round ball loads

Welcome to the Castboolits Forum! Glad to have you aboard. As for your question, are you familiar with Ballistic Products Inc., (BPI)? They publish several gauge-specific reloading manuals that contain the information you seek, and they're reasonably priced. Also, a good source for many of the components you mentioned.

DG

Boolit Master

Kevin: Welcome to this Boolit site! You will find a wealth of information here!! If you look up Track of the Wolf they have a lot of card wads, filler wads and nitro over powder wads. Dixie Gun Works also listed suggested loads for black powder shells.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Welcome to the forum!

I’ve seen a scattered few loads for shot with nitro card and cork or felt wads in the BPI advantages manual. There’s a a few more loads with a plastic gas seal and fiber wads.

There are also a few recipes without plastic wads in their buckshot and coyote manual.

Precision Reloading has many of the same imported plastic wads that BPI sells. BPI comes up with their own names for most of the wads.

If you are looking for a particular load or two, I’ll check and see if there’s a plastic free recipe in there close to what you are after.

Boolit Grand Master
    See if you can find an older Lyman Shotshell manual. It should have what you want.

YouTube is also an excellent source for loads.
    Lots on their for 410, 12, and 10.
    Psalms 91

Boolit Mold
    BPI has all sorts of info and supplies

When loading shotshells with card wads I just go be what is on the box. Maybe 3 drams of powder and an ounce of shot or whatever I want it to do. This is with black powder of course, and to be modern I convert drams to grains but I find that gives good loads and always works. No idea what to do with smokeless powder and these type of wads, I've only ever used the modern wads with that and just follow the recipe in the Lyman book or other reference.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Where is Kevinjoe ?

Hasn’t been here since the first and only post. Are we looking for smokeless loads without litter of plastic wads in the field?
    Are the organic wads for loading brass with black powder??

I'm not so sure about this guy; he just sent me an email, claiming to know somebody who has a pistol that I am looking for. He gave me an email address, which is not affiliated with any user from this site. He also has not made any responses in the three threads he has started since May 7th. The questions themselves also seem somewhat off to me, like the sorts of thing somebody would imagine a reloader to ask, but who has never actually reloaded themselves.

Oh well, we tried.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    Where is Kevinjoe ?

Hasn’t been here since the first and only post. Are we looking for smokeless loads without litter of plastic wads in the field?
    Are the organic wads for loading brass with black powder??
    Shows he had two posts on the 10th. HumptyDumpty I think nailed it. Probably a scamer setting things up but who knows.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    See if you can find an older Lyman Shotshell manual. It should have what you want.
    I will caution you about using that data. Many of the powders that you will find listed have changed their formulation over the years, so start cautiously with minimum loadings and work up slowly. I still use some of that data for 16 ga. loads, but I have worked up those loads over time.