Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: New material speer 38 special shot capsules

Boolit Master

New material speer 38 special shot capsules

Has anyone loaded the new capsules? They appear to be nylon and are not fragile like the original ones. I just ordered 3 boxes a couple of weeks back when they were back in stock at midway. They are deforming when I seat them deep enough. Not sure if I am doing something wrong, or the new design requires a different die/setup. Never had an issue with the original capsules. I tried both standard r-p brass and wadcutter brass, same issue.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	452024214551.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	326313
    Thanks,

Rosewood

Other thing, not getting that positive snap with the bottom wad.
    Last edited by rosewood; 05-06-2024 at 12:01 AM.
    Evangelical, deplorable redneck and proud of it.

Watching with interest. I’m not a fan of the old style.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    I'm watching too...but, I liked the old ones...owning a Choked, vent rib 44Mag Contender barrel for???? Lots of Years... I would drill the end out of one,glue it to another,to make it twice as long. Approximating the Contender Shot Capsule...
    The glue was for ??? I think Models. The stuff that kinda Melted that Plastic...Prolly can't accomplish that trick with the Newer, I'm sure Cheaper, Material!!!

Boolit Master
    Old ones were made out of polystyrene.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master

Have you tried running the case into a Lyman M die or NOE's knockoff and then seating the capsule. You could always taper crimp slightly if needed. james

Boolit Master
    It goes in beyond where the m die would expand to by finger pressure, the tightness is probably better than 1/2 way in the case. Thanks for suggestion.

Boolit Master
    You can take a fired case and make sure it fits your cylinder and taper crimp a bit? <don't resize> I don't have a problem with the old ones.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC04516.jpg  
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 05-06-2024 at 01:24 PM.

Boolit Master
    No problem fitting my case gauge or with the original capsules. It is the new ones. They fit, but they get slightly deformed from seating pressure. May not hurt anything ,but looks like junk.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    No problem fitting my case gauge or with the original capsules. It is the new ones. They fit, but they get slightly deformed from seating pressure. May not hurt anything ,but looks like junk.
    I always seated with my Thumb...unlikely to deform anything. But, I gots No Case Gauge...I use my Chamber.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    I always seated with my Thumb...unlikely to deform anything. But, I gots No Case Gauge...I use my Chamber.
    You can't push it on all the way with thumb.

I decided to seat to the max oal for 38 special of 1.550", and it seems fine there instead of the recommended 1.500". I messaged speer to see what they have to say about it.

Rosewood

Boolit Master

Just fill the cavity of a seating stem with hot glue and shave flat with a razor blade or knife. Then you are pushing a flat capsule with a flat seater plug.

Boolit Master
    I have a flat seater plug for the wadcutter in my dillon seater die.

Boolit Master
    You can't push it on all the way with thumb.

I decided to seat to the max oal for 38 special of 1.550", and it seems fine there instead of the recommended 1.500". I messaged speer to see what they have to say about it.

Rosewood
    Hmmm, I simply need the capsule to clear the Cylinder.. Not all of my Guns require the same length, But, I only use One Revolver with Shot, and The Contender, which matters Not how long...to a point of course! Why I glue two stacked together!!

Boolit Master
    1.550" just clears the j-frame, so I think I am good now.

Boolit Master
    1.550" just clears the j-frame, so I think I am good now.
    Long as it clears...
    Tho I have Never had them "jump" out under recoil...I'm gonna guess that the "softer" material will be crimped better by the neck.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Hmmm, I simply need the capsule to clear the Cylinder.. Not all of my Guns require the same length, But, I only use One Revolver with Shot, and The Contender, which matters Not how long...to a point of course! Why I glue two stacked together!!
    The nice thing about the Contender is the length doesn't matter so much. I have made 45 Colt capsules of various lengths from polyethylene (milk cartons) using geargnashers's method that contain less than 3/8 oz of #10 shot to 1/2 oz of #2 shot by changing the length to whatever is needed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by besk View Post
    The nice thing about the Contender is the length doesn't matter so much. I have made 45 Colt capsules of various lengths from polyethylene (milk cartons) using geargnashers's method that contain less than 3/8 oz of #10 shot to 1/2 oz of #2 shot by changing the length to whatever is needed.
    Interesting...I will try to "search" that out, as I am unfamiliar with that "geargnasher" method!!

Boolit Master
    rosewood,

What powder charge are you using and how do the capsules pattern at 10 feet and 25 feet? I had mixed results with capsules for the last 35 years in the .38 Special, .357, .41M and .44 calibers. I live in snake country and nearly stepped on a 3-foot Copperhead yesterday while mowing the yard. I had no gun, but the mower did the do. I like Unique powder with my shot loads.

I now load all my shot loads with Unique and a gas check over the powder, cup up, and a charge of #7.5 shot and a gas check, cup down. I roll crimp as needed. My end result looks like a miniature brass shotgun shell. It patterns well for all my needs. I hope this helps.

For SAFETY, ALWAYS wear eye protection when using shot loads in any handgun. On the target range, shot bounces back from hard backboards. Shot bounces back toward your eyes on hard/rocky ground. Be safe.

Be well.

Adam
    Last edited by Adam Helmer; 05-09-2024 at 11:35 AM.

Boolit Master
    I haven't patterned. I use unique. My buddy has killed 6+ venomous snakes in his yard in the last 2 years, so my load works at least with the #9. I have loaded some with the gas checks, but prefer the capsules since they hold more shot.