RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small Pistol Magnum Primers - Substitute for Small Pistol Standard??

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    ......I don't know what to think about the result you got with the VV powder. jd
    As mentioned, a given amount of a powder will produce only so much energy regardless of how it is ignited. In a pistol or rifle barrel the difference is in the "quickness" of the ignition. It is also greatly influenced by the expansion ration. In pistol cases with the faster burning powders they are ignited and burn very quickly so there is not much difference regardless of the ignition. However, with slower burning powders such as with HS6 and the VV powders we begin to see the difference in ignition between the primers. The milder the primer the slower the ignition and burn is so the bullet moves further into the bore which increases the volume for the expanding gas to fill, thus the time pressure curve is slower with a slightly less max psi. With the "hotter" primers the ingnition is more intense resulting in the fast time/pressure curve and a slightly higher max psi.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    I guess I am not nearly as scientific as some, but I use either SP or SPM primers interchangeably with NO noticeable difference in performance. I load the same powder and the same bullet and use whatever primer is available. I prefer to use SP, but if SPM primers are all I can find, that is what I use.
    With the components you are using you may very well not find any "noticeable" difference. However, if you change the components other than the primer type then the "difference" may become "noticeable".....perhaps very "noticeable"......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Mold
    I read an interesting article a while back that showed fixed load data for pistols that interchanged SP, SPM, SR, and SRM and there was not any appreciable difference in pressures or velocities. My primary round is the 9mm that I load with a 124 gr Hi-Tek bullet and the max load of N320. I have interchanged SP and SPM primers as available and never have noticed any difference in performance. These are a standard load that I shoot many different guns and seated for the shortest chamber which has been the Glock.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops1911 View Post
    I read an interesting article a while back that showed fixed load data for pistols that interchanged SP, SPM, SR, and SRM and there was not any appreciable difference in pressures or velocities. My primary round is the 9mm that I load with a 124 gr Hi-Tek bullet and the max load of N320. I have interchanged SP and SPM primers as available and never have noticed any difference in performance. These are a standard load that I shoot many different guns and seated for the shortest chamber which has been the Glock.
    As indicated by Mr. Gibson, there's little effect with the fast powders. That's why it's a non-issue with pistols such as 9mm. It's the slower (in this case, magnum) powders that suffer this effect.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    I guess I am not nearly as scientific as some, but I use either SP or SPM primers interchangeably with NO noticeable difference in performance. I load the same powder and the same bullet and use whatever primer is available. I prefer to use SP, but if SPM primers are all I can find, that is what I use.
    I do essentially the same. Worth noting, however, that I am not advocating changing the primers without being cautious. Larry gives us great info here. It just happens that I don't like hot loads and virtually all my favorite loads are the starting loads from the manuals-- 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 9mm, 44-40, 455 Webley, etc. At that low end you can get away with changing primers more readily.
    Hick: Iron sights!

I've used small and small pistol magnum primers interchangeably for decades; but I've also done the same thing with large pistol & magnum pistol primers. My primary shooting and reloading has involved the .38 spl and the .45 acp; target loads using Bullseye and Unique. Service, heavy and hunting loads received different treatment but represented only about 25% of my reloading. Never experienced any problems or unanticipated results.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanshi View Post
    I've used small and small pistol magnum primers interchangeably for decades; but I've also done the same thing with large pistol & magnum pistol primers. My primary shooting and reloading has involved the .38 spl and the .45 acp; target loads using Bullseye and Unique. Service, heavy and hunting loads received different treatment but represented only about 25% of my reloading. Never experienced any problems or unanticipated results.
    Because those are fast powders.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    I do essentially the same. Worth noting, however, that I am not advocating changing the primers without being cautious. Larry gives us great info here. It just happens that I don't like hot loads and virtually all my favorite loads are the starting loads from the manuals-- 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 9mm, 44-40, 455 Webley, etc. At that low end you can get away with changing primers more readily.
    In This....I believe!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    I have no problem using SPM primers in mostly everything except the 32 ACP.
    What happens when you use them in 32acp that is unacceptable?