Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: HS-6, 10 gauge load data question

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

HS-6, 10 gauge load data question

I’ve have the book the mighty 10 gauge. I also went on Hodgens reloading data which had a higher charge than my load data book from the mighty 10. Mighty 10 was a listing of 36 grains. I think it also had higher listings depending on what hull, shot cup, ect…along with what components I used. On Hodgen’s website it seemed to toggle back and forth at one time from 39 to 40 grains with the same components when I checked on and off.

Loaded a few up about two years ago at 39 grains. I went out and shot them, and there was WAY more noticeable recoil in my Browning gold 10 gauge than factory loads. I went out to shoot my gun at a turkey last year with factory anmmo and after I shot, the gun did not cycle the shell out. I discovered this year after the bolt didn’t close that the 24 year old brittle rubber buffer shattered. Plastic recoil follower also head broke the year before and I replaced it. All those are both old wear and tear parts that should’ve been replaced probably years ago and I would assume the hefty recoil from the six or so test hand loads I tried before that following season probably did them in. Also found one of the trigger guard side plate pins broke. Ordered a new trigger housing and replaced it as well. A $105 in overdue maintenance and trigger housing replacement and I’m back to good. After I tried that 39 grain load also saw another load with basically the same components using three grains less at 36 grains HS-6. The load is a 2 oz load recipe. Basically a federal hull,209 primer, x10x, sp10 wad, 2 oz of #5’s or #6’s(for turkeys), a card board OS card, and I roll crimp. The 36 grain load recoil is a lot more comparable to factory loads. Probably closer to the same. Guess I’ll have to run the load through a chronograph. Hodgdon’s web page says 40 grains with the same load! Why is there a 4 grain variance between that load and the mighty 10 load book? I have my load book in front of me, but I swear they had the higher pressure loads as well showing about the same amount of pressure. Has anybody used HS-6 in 3.5”, 10 gauge? Basically was the only powder I had laying around suitable so I loaded up 2 ounce loads with the data provided. 36 grain cycles my gun just fine so I’ll obviously stick with it until I run out of components… which is close to now anyways. It seems with the 10 gauge load data I’ve run into there is an variance in powder grain like rifles. It just has one suggested powder charge, which is weird to me. You would think they would give you a two grain variance at least to work loads up and down to check for patterns? I just don’t wanna run into one of these loads again that’s gonna put pressure on my gun and you don’t know till you shoot it if it has too much recoil or pressure signs. After putting all the new parts in my gun, I loaded up some of the 36 grain loads, which I have quite a few loaded up in five and six shot. They both pattern super awesome at 25 yards and 50. They don’t shoot as good as factory ammo probably because of the SP10 wads, but that’s all I have. I would assume that shot cup is made for more trap and skeet shooting than it is for tight grouping turkey hunting. I haven’t shot the sixes that I loaded up a few years ago, but I remember they were ridiculously tight at 25 yards better than any factory five shot by far. The number fives when I re zeroed my green dot the other day I had 85 hits in a turkey head or more and that 50 yards about 27 hits. Factory federal premium old discontinued Ammo in two ounce load will do almost twice that at both distances or more. I would assume it’s the flight control shot cup? Waze I didn’t see any pressure signs with the 36 grain hs-6 load and it cycles. Out of the 7 I loaded the the other day all primers were still rounded accept for one. The one had just started to show flattening signs. I would guess running a across the chronograph will tell the real story? If I remember right, I have some longshot laying around or went out and bought some because I saw a 3 ounce load I tried. At 40 yards my pattern fell apart. It’s still held about 86 in the head…lol. But I just wondered where the other 600 pellets went to? Figured that was a waste of components when 2 ounces will get it done and not take a dive at longer distances.

Here are my roll crimp 36 grains of HS six with 2 ounces of copper plated number #5’s. I just need to find some hulls now so I load a few more up. I seal them with clear nail polish over the complete OS card and same with primers. I also use primer sealer over the primers at times if I have close by vs the clear nail polish.

Just wondering if anybody has loaded 10 gauge with HS-6…and why a four grain variance spread with basically the same components? Also, maybe the recoil was more stout with the 39 grain load because my buffer already shattered or was letting loose?
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-05-2024 at 09:13 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Was the difference in data for different crimp? Does a roll crimp generate more pressure?

Did you check the weights of the powder and shot dropped?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I’d have to look again I don’t have the book in front of me. It’s at a different location right now, but that’s a good question. I always use my digital scale to measure each load so they’re precise. I only load a dozen to fifteen or so at a time. I take my time and use my digital scale for powder charges and shot charges. I don’t have enough hulls to load more than that at a time so I just take my time and OCD everything through the process to make sure everything is precise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I’ve have the book the mighty 10 gauge. I also went on Hodgens reloading data which had a higher charge than my load data book from the mighty 10. Mighty 10 was a listing of 36 grains. I think it also had higher listings depending on what hull, shot cup, ect…along with what components I used. On Hodgen’s website it seemed to toggle back and forth at one time from 39 to 40 grains with the same components when I checked on and off.

Loaded a few up about two years ago at 39 grains. I went out and shot them, and there was WAY more noticeable recoil in my Browning gold 10 gauge than factory loads. I went out to shoot my gun at a turkey last year with factory anmmo and after I shot, the gun did not cycle the shell out. I discovered this year after the bolt didn’t close that the 24 year old brittle rubber buffer shattered. Plastic recoil follower also head broke the year before and I replaced it. All those are both old wear and tear parts that should’ve been replaced probably years ago and I would assume the hefty recoil from the six or so test hand loads I tried before that following season probably did them in. Also found one of the trigger guard side plate pins broke. Ordered a new trigger housing and replaced it as well. A $105 in overdue maintenance and trigger housing replacement and I’m back to good. After I tried that 39 grain load also saw another load with basically the same components using three grains less at 36 grains HS-6. The load is a 2 oz load recipe. Basically a federal hull,209 primer, x10x, sp10 wad, 2 oz of #5’s or #6’s(for turkeys), a card board OS card, and I roll crimp. The 36 grain load recoil is a lot more comparable to factory loads. Probably closer to the same. Guess I’ll have to run the load through a chronograph. Hodgdon’s web page says 40 grains with the same load! Why is there a 4 grain variance between that load and the mighty 10 load book? I have my load book in front of me, but I swear they had the higher pressure loads as well showing about the same amount of pressure. Has anybody used HS-6 in 3.5”, 10 gauge? Basically was the only powder I had laying around suitable so I loaded up 2 ounce loads with the data provided. 36 grain cycles my gun just fine so I’ll obviously stick with it until I run out of components… which is close to now anyways. It seems with the 10 gauge load data I’ve run into there is an variance in powder grain like rifles. It just has one suggested powder charge, which is weird to me. You would think they would give you a two grain variance at least to work loads up and down to check for patterns? I just don’t wanna run into one of these loads again that’s gonna put pressure on my gun and you don’t know till you shoot it if it has too much recoil or pressure signs. After putting all the new parts in my gun, I loaded up some of the 36 grain loads, which I have quite a few loaded up in five and six shot. They both pattern super awesome at 25 yards and 50. They don’t shoot as good as factory ammo probably because of the SP10 wads, but that’s all I have. I would assume that shot cup is made for more trap and skeet shooting than it is for tight grouping turkey hunting. I haven’t shot the sixes that I loaded up a few years ago, but I remember they were ridiculously tight at 25 yards better than any factory five shot by far. The number fives when I re zeroed my green dot the other day I had 85 hits in a turkey head or more and that 50 yards about 27 hits. Factory federal premium old discontinued Ammo in two ounce load will do almost twice that at both distances or more. I would assume it’s the flight control shot cup? Waze I didn’t see any pressure signs with the 36 grain hs-6 load and it cycles. Out of the 7 I loaded the the other day all primers were still rounded accept for one. The one had just started to show flattening signs. I would guess running a across the chronograph will tell the real story? If I remember right, I have some longshot laying around or went out and bought some because I saw a 3 ounce load I tried. At 40 yards my pattern fell apart. It’s still held about 86 in the head…lol. But I just wondered where the other 600 pellets went to? Figured that was a waste of components when 2 ounces will get it done and not take a dive at longer distances.

Here are my roll crimp 36 grains of HS six with 2 ounces of copper plated number #5’s. I just need to find some hulls now so I load a few more up. I seal them with clear nail polish over the complete OS card and same with primers. I also use primer sealer over the primers at times if I have close by vs the clear nail polish.
    I often reminisce about my school days, especially the times when I struggled to write essays on various topics, as writing wasn't my strong suit. I frequently relied on the essay examples about Community on this service https://papersowl.com/examples/community/ to keep up with my classmates. I would gather the best examples and try to write independently using them as a guide. Now, I no longer face such challenges and can easily craft texts.

Just wondering if anybody has loaded 10 gauge with HS-6…and why a four grain variance spread with basically the same components? Also, maybe the recoil was more stout with the 39 grain load because my buffer already shattered or was letting loose?
    It's impressive how dedicated and experienced you are as a shooter, investing time and effort into researching and optimizing your shooting experience. That's really cool, thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by MarkWood; 05-17-2024 at 04:38 PM.