Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Herters Powermags

Boolit Mold
    I have powermags in both .357 and .44 mag. I have been VERY impressed with their build quality and accuracy. In both revolvers, the chambers are very highly polished, almost better than anything else I have seen. Just fantastic. The .44 was a bit of a project, it was missing the ejector tube/rod and stud on the barrel. And somehow, the base pin had a slight warp. Thankfully found parts to put the .44 back to fully original and super smooth. Keep looking for a .401 I can afford...but not yet.

Boolit Master
    I have two Powermags in .357 and two in .401. One of the .401 revolvers also has a .38-40 interchangeable cylinder.
    I haven't done much with the .401 revolvers except to say I was totally surprised to see .400" Hornady 180 grain HPs shoot lights out from one. I would have thought that I might need .403" or .404 diameter slugs.

Boolit Master
    However after market grips are available from tombstonegrips.com and grips can be easily made from any material you like.
    I am patiently waiting for Tombstone grips to finish the change of ownership. They had a pair of Herter's powermag grips on sale before the original owner stopped his production. I am still kicking myself for not pulling the trigger immediately.

Those grips were in a cool, "Elvis in Blue Hawaii" color that I am sure George Herter himself would approve of having on one of his revolvers.

Boolit Master

I had one in .357 Mag and it was a very well built pistol and very accurate. Made in Germany by Sauer. I used it for several years but didn't like the grips so I sold it on. Now I wish I hadn't sold it!
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    David, thanks for posting that article. This is bringing back a lot of happy memories of being a kid in the late Sixties eagerly devouring the newest Herter's catalog. George was an incredible character, an American original, one of a kind. I had two of his Bull Cook cookbooks which were just as entertaining, with recipes from the likes of Mary Magdalene and sections such as "Indian Method of Quitting Smoking." I sure wanted one of those Sauer-made Powermags but also lusted after the Herter hunting rifles built on BSA actions.

Boolit Master

Albert Rim,,,,

I got lucky one day when I visited my favorite gun and pawn shop. They had a Herter/BSA 7mm Rem Mag for sale for $350.00 which I quickly bought. A very accurate and well built rifle. With 140 and 160 J's I can get MOA accuracy at 100 yds.
    best
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !